Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello from Cali..
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:42 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Hi all, I just purchased my first firearm the other day, a C9, which I should be picking up in about a week or so. (10 day waiting period). I learned how to use a shot gun and a revolver some years ago when I drove for an armored truck company, but I haven't fired a firearm since then and semi-autos are new to me. Anyway, I've been doing LOTS of reading on the Hi points and most of the reviews have been good, plus, I didn't have the $$ for a more brand name gun, so this seemed like a good way to go. Call me crazy, but I think the C9 is a nice looker. I do have one question, I looked around on the forum to see what kind of ammo is recommended and I saw someone mention a brand called Federal. Are there any other brands that you all would recommend or advise to stay away from ? I saw a post where someone said not to use Winchester, are there any others to avoid ? Thanks in advance !

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello from Cali..
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:45 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Huge welcome from Az Celtica!!!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Good choice, 9mm is less expensive to shoot than most other calibers.
Celtica wrote:
Hi all, I just purchased my first firearm the other day, a C9,

The waiting period is one of the things that sucks about PRK.
Quote:
which I should be picking up in about a week or so. (10 day waiting period). I learned how to use a shot gun and a revolver some years ago when I drove for an armored truck company, but I haven't fired a firearm since then and semi-autos are new to me. Anyway, I've been doing LOTS of reading on the Hi points and most of the reviews have been good, plus,

Hi Point is a brand name; it's made in the USA and they sell a boatload every year.
Quote:
I didn't have the $$ for a more brand name gun, so this seemed like a good way to go. Call me crazy, but I think the C9 is a nice looker. I do have one question,

Most of us have been pleased to find that HP makes guns that feed and function 'most any ammo you load. There is often a break-in period with HP firearms. Helpful techniques: load your magazines and let them sit for a week or two ... thump the back of the mag flat on a table to seat all cartridges to the rear. If you have any problems ask -- the guys here have a lot of experience with new C9s.
Quote:
I looked around on the forum to see what kind of ammo is recommended and I saw someone mention a brand called Federal. Are there any other brands that you all would recommend or advise to stay away from ? I saw a post where someone said not to use Winchester, are there any others to avoid ? Thanks in advance !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:31 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
I had to read that twice; first time I thought you typed 'Aztlan' ... I thought maybe you'd joined MEChA :shock:
Ex_ISP wrote:
Huge welcome from Az Celtica!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:58 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Thanks You guys ! I'm planning on taking a safety course to learn how to use it properly since I'm pretty much a gun a noob, lol. I was only with the armored truck co. for a matter of months and prior to that, I hadn't fired one, nor have I since then.. I hear you on the brand name thing, what I should have said is that I didn't have the money for a more expensive gun. I guess it may be awhile before I get to a range, but I'll remember your tips and if I forget, at least I'll have an instructor nearby..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
:welcome: Celtica - Welcome from South Dakota!! :welcome:
Glad you decided to join us!! Lots of good helpful folks around here.
I think taking a safety course is is a good idea. Safety is always #1 with firearms!!
You'll find that your Hi-Point is pretty simple to operate. :great:
Make sure and let us know how your C9 works for you when you get it!
Pictures are good - and range reports are even better!! :D

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
:welcome: Welcome from the Commonwealth of Kentucky :welcome:

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" "Who watches the watchmen?"
-- Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347 M E

"We can have a democratic society or we can have the concentration of great wealth in the hands of the few. We cannot have both."
-- Louis Brandeis, Supreme Court Justice from 1916-1939

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Thanks everybody, I'll be sure to share how it goes once I am able to get to the range and try it out.. Thanks again ! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:21 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

welcome, proper firearm training and handling is key. i compare it to driving a car. with the right guidence almost everyone can drive one. with the right teachers you'll be doing fine. the key though is to formulate your own opinons and ideas about firearms. dont let anyone tell YOU what YOU should buy or think. if a gun feels good in your hands. and you shoot it well. and you enjoy shooting it. and you find a system. then stick to it. the hi point is a great pistol. its a stupidly simple platform and should do exactally what you need.

i buy bulk ammo for practice. federal is dirty. winchester white box is dirty. and PPU seems to been a good gateway round. but also buy a box or two of your personal defense ammo. if you can find it federal Hi Shok is an old hollowpoint thats inexpensive and seems to feed weel in my xd and my dads c9. you can get 100 rounds. two 50 rounds boxes. for about 40$ in 9mm. but again. they key is to formulate your own ideas and take mine at face value. which is just an opinon. and opinons are like a**holes. we all have them. and they all stink. except mine. lol

i just joined this forum as well and these seem like good knowledgable people who genuinely want to help with your questions and who are excited to see your success as well. i think you're in good hands

Favorite Firearms
Springfield XD 45acp
Mossberg Maverick 88 12g
Remington 7400 30-06
H&R combo rifle 22/.410
Heritage 22 SAA combo
HP 995
Savage 99 .250

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:22 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Thank you BarnOwl. I have a friend here at work who also has a 9mm (Springfield Armory) and is going to go with me to the local range soon and try it out. I told him about the Hipoints and I think he's interested in getting one for himself. :) And yes, as with anything, learning to to use it safely is key. And I don't take that lightly, life is too fragile and precious !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Celtica wrote:
Thank you BarnOwl. I have a friend here at work who also has a 9mm (Springfield Armory) and is going to go with me to the local range soon and try it out. I told him about the Hipoints and I think he's interested in getting one for himself. :) And yes, as with anything, learning to to use it safely is key. And I don't take that lightly, life is too fragile and precious !

amen to that. see you're friend has good taste. nothing like hitting the range with a comrade and trying out each others firearms. you cant try out each others wives. but i guess guns are acceptable. send a few slugs down range for me. who knows. the bug may bite you and you may end up with a few more firearms for various purposes. good luck. be safe. and have fun.

Favorite Firearms
Springfield XD 45acp
Mossberg Maverick 88 12g
Remington 7400 30-06
H&R combo rifle 22/.410
Heritage 22 SAA combo
HP 995
Savage 99 .250

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

BarnOwl wrote:
Celtica wrote:

amen to that. see you're friend has good taste. nothing like hitting the range with a comrade and trying out each others firearms. you cant try out each others wives. but i guess guns are acceptable. send a few slugs down range for me. who knows. the bug may bite you and you may end up with a few more firearms for various purposes. good luck. be safe. and have fun.

Thank you Barnowl ! :mrgreen: I have a question, you had mentioned Winchester and Federal ammo as "dirty". What does that mean in terms of ammo, does it cause the gun to jam or something along those lines?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Celtica wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Celtica wrote:

Thank you Barnowl ! :mrgreen: I have a question, you had mentioned Winchester and Federal ammo as "dirty". What does that mean in terms of ammo, does it cause the gun to jam or something along those lines?

im not damming them in any way. its just an annoyance to someone like me who prefers their guns cleaned after every range session weather its 5 rounds or 500. "dirty ammo" is a quick way of saying it leaves behind alot of residue. im not a ballistics expert so my guess is its unburned gun powder. lube. and other lower grade materials that cause it. i dont think that bulk ammo uses super quality powder. its just an annoyance. you get carbon build up. my xd has a polished feed ramp. leading and gunpowder and all kinds of crap. blah. i just prefer clean guns is all and i shoot it without complaint because i do clean my firearms often. but if you're using dirty ammo and not cleaning you're gun. you'll have a failure earlier than running cleaner burning ammo. usually. stuff happens. cant account for everything. but its just something to look for. if you notice alot of residue in the gun then its cleaning time.

again. my opinon. my butthole. it doesnt stink. but it may smell bad for you. so its always good to try it for yourself.

Favorite Firearms
Springfield XD 45acp
Mossberg Maverick 88 12g
Remington 7400 30-06
H&R combo rifle 22/.410
Heritage 22 SAA combo
HP 995
Savage 99 .250

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:51 pm 
HPT Veteran