Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Premature Discharge During Extraction
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:07 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I still have the casing of the bullet that went catastrophic with me as the next shell in that was in the magazine. I now listen carefully, and smooth out any bulges the casings may have prior to shooting the reloads. All I know is that never did get the underwear totally cleaned up white again, had to toss that pair away! lol :eeewww: :funny: :laugh:
Want that to be the only catastrophic failure I see for the rest of my life!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:24 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
As I said the mechanism is designed to keep the live ammo away from the used ammo. The extractor pulls the spent casing back. At the full rearward position of the bolt, the firing pin protrudes from the boltface. At this point the extractor has pulled the bullet far enough back that the firing pin now acts as the ejector. That's all well and good if you're firing the ammo. If you're cycling live ammo through the system to empty the gun, when you pull back the charging handle briskly and all the components line up, the extractor could pull the live ammo primer right into the firing pin. I would guess, HiPoint would reccommend dropping the magazine and carefully extracting any round in the chamber.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:27 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
new2shootn wrote:
I would guess, HiPoint would reccommend dropping the magazine and carefully extracting any round in the chamber.

It would make for a good safety habit to get into to do it that way IMO

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:54 pm 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
If you must hand cycle live ammo through your weapon may I suggest thar you pull the slide back far enough to cock it effectively capturing the firing pin. Then proceed to hand cycle the round. True the ejector/firing pin will not push the bullet out of the breech but if you hold it ejection port side down then gravity should handle that chore for you.
Personally I think this is a bad idea generally as the only way to truly perform a function check on these weapons is to fire them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
trkkshotbry wrote:
If you must hand cycle live ammo through your weapon may I suggest thar you pull the slide back far enough to cock it effectively capturing the firing pin. Then proceed to hand cycle the round. True the ejector/firing pin will not push the bullet out of the breech but if you hold it ejection port side down then gravity should handle that chore for you.
Personally I think this is a bad idea generally as the only way to truly perform a function check on these weapons is to fire them.

100% in agreement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:45 am 

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I have hand cycle rounds thur my hi-points many times , I belive the problem is, when you do not keep the gun clean, then the fireing pin and spring would get gunked up and stick, and you hear how some, guys never clean there guns . or only ever 500 rounds or so, I will do it with a clean gun, only.
expressdog01

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:05 pm 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
I think you've misunderstood Express, the issue is not about having a sticky firing pin. Unlike other pistols, with HP the firing pin is designed to stick out (clean or not) when the slide goes back. That is what kicks the shell out. With traditional designs, a separate ejector is used to kick out shells, but they are positioned so as not to align with the primer and just hits the edge of the case. In the HP design where the firing pin does double duty, it has to hot the primer to ignite the charge, then again when the slide goes back to throw out (eject) the spent casing. That's fine when ejecting a spent casing because the primer already went off. But, when you manually cycle the slide (say you chose not to fire a chambered round, and just wanted to eject it) the ejector/firing pin then has to make contact with a live primer on a live cartridge. Hence the precarious situation.

Profile E-mail