Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Premature Discharge During Extraction
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:51 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Ok, back to the OP. When I cycled live, it was under extremely controlled circumstances. No one around, shooting in a range, weapon pointed downrange. Every time I have had to, it made my ass pucker because I wasn't sure what was going to happen. I had one time that a round went off, and again under extremely controlled circumstances. I was prepared for it to happen, and it still scared the shit out of me. That's why I don't temp fate.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:16 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Makemine...:

You've got that straight! Never tempt fate with firearms or chainsaws.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:58 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I didn't count how many rounds I would rack out at the end of a shift and never had one Kaboom on me. I would imagine IF you don't clean it properly the pin and spring might mess it up. I know, I know, HP says not to clean it but I did, if not every week at least twice a month I would just wipe it down and run a patch thru it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
As I observe the mechanism of my 995 it appears the extractor drags the casing out of the chamber with the energy from blowback. My 995 has no ejector. All my auto pistols have an ejector the kicks out the spent round. On the 995, when the bolt is locked back I can see the firing pin protruding about .375". The tip of the pin is farther forward at that point than the extractor. It appears that the firing pin is doing double duty as ejector. This change in relative position of the pin and extractor flips out the spent cartridge. The xtractor keeps pulling back while at the last second the firing pin bumps the spent cartridge causing it to fly out the port.

If that's correct, the fresh ammo is not in contact with the pin at all. It is protected by the spent ammo in the way. The fresh ammo isn't in play until the bolt changes direction and swipes the fresh round into battery. When the bolt moves forward, the pin remains stationary held in cocked position by the trigger mechanism. So once again, the firing pin is not in play when the bolt swipes the fresh round off the magazine. Once in battery the trigger releases the firing pin.

That's my juvenile understanding of the motion mechanics. Malfs and accidents always can happen but a discharge while cycling would likely not be caused by the firing pin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:57 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
new2shootn wrote:
As I observe the mechanism of my 995 it appears the extractor drags the casing out of the chamber with the energy from blowback. My 995 has no ejector. All my auto pistols have an ejector the kicks out the spent round. On the 995, when the bolt is locked back I can see the firing pin protruding about .375". The tip of the pin is farther forward at that point than the extractor. It appears that the firing pin is doing double duty as ejector. This change in relative position of the pin and extractor flips out the spent cartridge. The xtractor keeps pulling back while at the last second the firing pin bumps the spent cartridge causing it to fly out the port.

If that's correct, the fresh ammo is not in contact with the pin at all. It is protected by the spent ammo in the way. The fresh ammo isn't in play until the bolt changes direction and swipes the fresh round into battery. When the bolt moves forward, the pin remains stationary held in cocked position by the trigger mechanism. So once again, the firing pin is not in play when the bolt swipes the fresh round off the magazine. Once in battery the trigger releases the firing pin.

That's my juvenile understanding of the motion mechanics. Malfs and accidents always can happen but a discharge while cycling would likely not be caused by the firing pin.

I'm not sure about that one bud. Now you may be correct about the 995ts, but I know that the HP pistols will leave small dents in the primer if you live cycle a round. Now, they say that you really don't exert enough power to actually set the primer off while live cycling. But like MakeMine said, I wouldn't temp fate. MakeMine know a little about HP products and I trust whatever he says. Besides, he said if I come visit him, he'll buy the beer. I'll agree with anything he says for a beer. I'm a cheap date. :roflol:

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch! - Rooster Cogburn
Revenge is a meal best served cold!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get me!
Officially a friend of a sadistic dirty old man. Lol.
It's always raining in my head. - Staind
Killing Is My Business, And Business Is Good! - Dave Mustane. - Megadeth.
http://www.military.com/video/operation ... 618611001/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Easy too.
:run:

MechWolf wrote:
... I'm a cheap date. :roflol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
The chances of the firing pin setting the round off are very remote, but so is being struck by lightning, and that happens to someone every day.

I do not like the firing pin being the ejector, but it is because of the firing pins getting bent that bothers me.

Mech, any AK rifle is going to leave a dot on the primer when you manually load and eject a round, because it has a free floating firing pin.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:55 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
waltham41 wrote:

Mech, any AK rifle is going to leave a dot on the primer when you manually load and eject a round, because it has a free floating firing pin.

I don't know much about AK's but I was going to get an SKS or better yet a Saiga, until or LGS found out I came into some money and threw them all away. They had an AK but I wasn't paying 600 bucks. I like my balls right where God put them. Lol.

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch! - Rooster Cogburn
Revenge is a meal best served cold!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get me!
Officially a friend of a sadistic dirty old man. Lol.
It's always raining in my head. - Staind
Killing Is My Business, And Business Is Good! - Dave Mustane. - Megadeth.
http://www.military.com/video/operation ... 618611001/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
mogunner wrote:
One of the things I don't care for in the Hi Point design.

Mo you and I have agreed on this for a long time. They really do need a seperate ejector. Something as simple as a sharks tooth like on a stengun would work fine. The only problem I ever had with my 995TS was bent pins.

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
new2shootn wrote:
The fresh ammo isn't in play until the bolt changes direction and swipes the fresh round into battery. When the bolt moves forward, the pin remains stationary held in cocked position by the trigger mechanism.

Actually, this is pretty much correct. Except we were talking about live rounds. ;)
So that firing pin that is acting as an ejector is actually pushing/pressing the firing pin on alive round as the slide is pulled back, which is why if I HAVE to do it, I do it slowly, and I only do it with an empty mag well, because of the next problem.

Which is this. If one doesn't quite pull the slide all the way back, the firing pin doesn't lock back either, in which case, it acts like an open bolt gun, slamming the exposed firing pin into the live round as it chambers. The more common thing would probably be a bent firing pin, but you could also have a round go off.

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

Ajole, I could not have explained it better myself.......well done...... :great:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: CF380
The only way I could see a miss fire is if there was a double feed as the firing pin does not stick out on its own unless the slide is pulled back. Maybe and thats a big maybe because when the slide is in position to strip another round the firing pin is retracted. I have cycled live ammo many times the firing pin does not contact live ammo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

I must say, every time I see the subject of this thread I gotta think of Randy.

Extraction after premature discharge J/K Randy ...;-)

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:50 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
Ex_ISP wrote:
I must say, every time I see the subject of this thread I gotta think of Randy.

Extraction after premature discharge J/K Randy ...;-)

No use extracting after that. :roll:

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:00 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

;) No summer kids here :lol:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail