Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 995 scope
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:09 pm 

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I have a cheap BSA red dot on my 995 but would like a low powered scope instead. I would like to keep it Below $100. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 995 scope
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:15 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/products.php?cat=15&pg=3 this is on Hi-Point acc. site 4x30, $45

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:53 pm 

That's the one I was looking for. Anyone have any experience with it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:23 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
I think they work just fine, I haven't heard any complaints on it. I've put a few on for people and they were happy with them.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:13 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I put the cheap tasco red.dot from Wally world on mine...about the same price, works fine for me...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:59 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
Here are a few more.

A 6X32 NC STAR compact model, $27..the 4X32 is about $20, + S&H

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-compact-rifle-scope-6x32-scope-blue-sc632b.html

I have also gotten Tasco Silver Antler scopes or the equivalent in 3-9X40 for about $20 on sale at Walmart and CalRanch.

The Walmarts in my area also sell a low end 4X32 Bushnell for $30, although it has tip-off 3/8 inch .22 type rings, so you need to buy regular rings for $8-$10 as well, though that is true of many scopes.

I like the smaller compact style scopes for the carbines. And I stay with cheap scopes, it's not like I am in Alaska or Colorado for the hunt of a lifetime.

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:12 am 

Jeeper wrote:
I put the cheap tasco red.dot from Wally world on mine...about the same price, works fine for me...

read my post fully before you post...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 am 

ajole wrote:
Here are a few more.

A 6X32 NC STAR compact model, $27..the 4X32 is about $20, + S&H

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-compact-rifle-scope-6x32-scope-blue-sc632b.html

I have also gotten Tasco Silver Antler scopes or the equivalent in 3-9X40 for about $20 on sale at Walmart and CalRanch.

The Walmarts in my area also sell a low end 4X32 Bushnell for $30, although it has tip-off 3/8 inch .22 type rings, so you need to buy regular rings for $8-$10 as well, though that is true of many scopes.

I like the smaller compact style scopes for the carbines. And I stay with cheap scopes, it's not like I am in Alaska or Colorado for the hunt of a lifetime.

ya I don't want something that costs more then the rifle. Have you used the ncstar scope before??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

I have a 3x9 way overkill though I'd go to 4x

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recently purchased a Barska electrosight. it's a 1x reflex red dot. Not fancy, but it seems to be very versatile and is more accurate than I am. it has 4 reticals for your dancing pleasure and 7 brightness settings. Like a lot of highpoint users I'm a value guy, not a fancy gun snob. It was around $50 from ebay. So far so good. manufacturer claims it is designed for guns with heavy recoil and has a lifetime warranty (whatever that's worth). I matched the aim with the laser which is set at 1" below zero @ 25 yrds. That's the limit of the indoor range. I don't know how these guns are on a chrono and the ballistic info I have found shows 9mm trajectory drop at the speeds from handgun tests. I haven't been to the outdoor facility yet. When I go I will start at 25 yds and work out. The ballistic table I have indicates 1" under @ 25 yds would yield 0 @ 50 yds, and about 1.5" under @ 75 yds. One magazine writer says a pistol cartrige in a rifle starts slowing down before it leaves the barrel. Another source on youtube chronied 3.5", 5", and 16.5" barrels with fmj practice ammo and recorded velocity increases with each increase of barrel length. The magazine writer may have been a rifle snob, trying to influence the readers into buying a "real" rifle. All of the table info is predicated on velocity. When speed goes up, trajectory is flatter until you run out of gas.

My goal is a usable, fairly flat, trajectory for about 100 yrds; from a carbine that uses 9mm pistol ammo. Then my closet can hold a lot of 9mm and .45 acp instead of a few rounds of 15 or 20 different calibers. One new (to me) round I am going to test is Pow'r Ball +p. They advertise 1450 fps from a 5" barrel, and the benefit of the same profile as fmj ammo. I have feeding problems with the highpoint with any jhp. We'll see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:46 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
new2shootn wrote:
One magazine writer says a pistol cartrige in a rifle starts slowing down before it leaves the barrel. .

Welcome to the forum..... Certain loads with certain powders may well start slowing down in the barrel because the powder burns fast and has quit expanding before the bullet travels the extra inches in a carbine barrel.

But I will make a wild assed guess that most 9mm loads will still be picking up speed as they exit the barrel.

How many rounds do you have through your carbine? It may well be that its not broke in yet, or your mags may need tweaking if you are having trouble with hollow points not feeding properly.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 am 
Collector
Collector

new2shootn wrote:
One magazine writer says a pistol cartrige in a rifle starts slowing down before it leaves the barrel. .

The bullets in my guns leave the barrel pretty darn quick. :mdr:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the almost instant replies. As to velocity, I was only paraphrasing from an article in Shooting times. My 995 is probably not broken in yet, It's only been to the range a couple of times, and mostly I work on pistol skills. I'm just in the process of making something useful and fun to shoot. In January I added a momentary laser, because it didn't make sense to me to have a system that sent a beacon out saying here I am. Then I added the reflex red dot for dayshift activities. It shoots well and very accurately at the ranges I have played with. It groups well, meaning there's enough precision somewhere to make the shots repeatable. The gun snob would say it's a cheap piece of junk. I have heard dealers say they would not handle HP because of that opinion. that's bias on their part. compared to an AR, an AK is cheap to build, easier to manufacture, less refined. Both will make you dead.

I'd like to find out more about adding a surpressor to make it more suitable for urban use. I think that would make a useful defensive and hunting weapon for hard times in the 'burbs. Where I live isn't as densly populated as downtown, but there are still folks nib-nosing around other people's business. Quiet, accurate, repeatable, affordable, plentiful ammo...that should a handy thing to have. Especially, if we continue down the road toward a government agent, camera, drone, or snitch around every corner.

Didn't mean to go political. I have my own opinions and should probably keep it that way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

new2shootn wrote:
Especially, if we continue down the road toward a government agent, camera, drone, or snitch around every corner.

Didn't mean to go political. I have my own opinions and should probably keep it that way.

I think I'm gonna like this guy :mrgreen:
:welcome: to the forum

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Is it because we've finally got somebody here with an opinion he's not afraid to share? :dunno:
Cornhusker wrote:
I think I'm gonna like this guy :mrgreen:
:welcome: to the forum