Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trigger job idea!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:26 am 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
There are two levers that work together to release the sear. The trigger arm and the arm it pushes up against. We all know that playing with the spring tensions can be dangerous but how about changing the leverage.
I had this idea sitting on the toilet so I may be way off base but I'm going to look into it Sunday after the range when I can take my carbine apart and not need it back together again for a week or so. Ill make some lever arms and try them out.
Cross yer fangers fer me!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trigger job idea!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:54 am 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
To change the pressure, you'll have to change the length, if you change the length to make a lower trigger pressure, you will lengthen the trigger pull. Have fun with that.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:30 pm 
Collector
Collector

I'm going to play with "cam profile" of the two arms to reduce overall travel while simultaneously lowering effort. Your absolutely right that changing nothing but the length of the lever would increase the travel but by altering the profile of one or both arms I might be able to reduce both travel and effort.
Ill never know until I try it. I wish it were easier to upload pics to the sight because I'm not good at describing pictures but whatever. If I can make it work ill send you a set of drawings so you can make your own.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:35 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I don't know if I missed it, but what gun are you talking about? I know little about changing the trigger pull on many guns, except those few that actually have a screw that does it easily. I can't contribute with advise because it seems you know more about it than I do, but if it's an HP, I can probably get you some help.
Thanks man.

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch! - Rooster Cogburn
Revenge is a meal best served cold!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get me!
Officially a friend of a sadistic dirty old man. Lol.
It's always raining in my head. - Staind
Killing Is My Business, And Business Is Good! - Dave Mustane. - Megadeth.
http://www.military.com/video/operation ... 618611001/
HPT SNIPER

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:01 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
trkkshotbry, very interesting. Your talking about making 2 new parts. I wish I was able to do that. Can you do it with a hacksaw and a file? Seriously, I would like a little hint into what tools are available to you.
Not having much more than hand tools, I have giving my 995 a very acceptable trigger.
Yes, I changed the sear spring. I found a substitute in a box of miscellaneous springs I bought at Home Depot. It looks very much like the original spring, but is about 75% of its strength. It is definitely not a spring from a ball point pen. Then the next thing is to remove all the parts of the trigger assembly and hone and sand all the edges of the parts AND the area where the parts meet. Doing all this was not enough. I still had a 'jerky' trigger pull. Then I found it....the underside of the shiny plate that covers the trigger parts. It's hard to get to, but sanding the edges under that plate really helped. I did get an aluminum trigger and sanded the area around where the trigger moves. I use an aluminum grease on the zamak parts and all the trigger parts that touch it. A little filler piece, your choice, at the top of the trigger to remove some slack.
My trigger feels like a $200 custom job (sorry for the exaggeration, I get carried away).
Your making new parts must incorporate the sanding and smoothing of the parts. That said, If you can get your project working, put me on the list of buyers.
Best of luck, Wheekjack-Walt

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:30 am 
Collector
Collector

I have access to pretty well set up machine shop. Certainly enough to cut out some stainless trigger arms and bend them up. I'm going to play with leverages and curve profile. Im not sure I can make the trigger pull any shorter but lighter and stack up better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:23 pm 

Hi: I am new to your forum, however I have a 9mm carbine and I also wanted the trigger to be comparable to my Glocks.
Soft and light so I took apart my Hi-Point 9mm and gave it a good look over and figured out what to do.
So I took out the sear pin spring, that is way to heavy and with a common household item replaced it and buffed the sear cam smooth.
The uncut spring from any click point pen in your house is perfect it will give what feels like a 3 lb. trigger.
"I Like It" It is one of my favorite weapons to shot and it's cheap because I load my own ammo.

I hope you like this solution, but if you don't it's easy enough to put the original spring back. No harm No Foul.

Happy Shooting: David

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:19 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

trkkshotbry,
I'm interested also in your trigger mods.
Wheeljack,
Thanks for that info., I hadn't thought of that plate underside!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:57 pm 
Guru
Guru

You have to watch changing angles/lengths with the trigger arm. They are made a specific way on purpose. You will probably run into an issue with how far the slide is opened when the trigger arm is reconnected with the sear cam. This can get into a serious condition and allow open breech detonations. Please be very careful with your modifications. Make sure you check everything before trying to fire your gun.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile E-mail