Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New member's gun
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:21 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
First post. Here is my C9 pistol with Mahan sights and paint textured grips.

The pistol was obtained new in a trade for vintage ammunition that I found in my Dad's old truck. This will be my nightstand gun. My only other firearm is a Beretta Bobcat 22LR which is not adequate for home defense. I bonded two 10 round magazines together with double faced tape and electrical tape. The connection is very strong. The weight of 20 rounds does cause a slight movement of the magazine in the gun, but I have not noticed any ill effects when firing. I only use Federal 115g FMJ round nose ammunition. The change to the other magazine takes 3 seconds with practice. The only problem I currently have is that when firing the safety sometimes catches the forward slide notch and holds the slide open.

Last edited by arf on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New member's gun
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:46 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Congrats on the unique looking gun and welcome to the forum :great:
I never thought about hooking 2 mags together in that fashion, but it's nice to have another 10 rounds right handy

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:53 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Nice looking C9 -- I like the look of the grips
arf wrote:
First post. Here is my C9 pistol with Mahan sights and paint textured grips.

The pistol was obtained new in a trade for vintage ammunition that I found in my Dad's old truck. This will be my nightstand gun. My only other firearm is a Baretta Bobcat 22LR which is not adequate for home defense.

Interesting way to attach the magazines -- does it become unwieldy?
Quote:
I bonded two 10 round magazines together with double faced tape and electrical tape. The connection is very strong. The weight of 20 rounds does cause a slight movement of the magazine in the gun, but I have not noticed any ill effects when firing. I only use Federal 115g FMJ round nose ammunition. The change to the other magazine takes 3 seconds with practice.

You might need to adjust your grip. Do you shoot right or left handed?
Quote:
The only problem I currently have is that when firing the safety sometimes catches the forward slide notch and holds the slide open.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab27 ... eljb0f.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:07 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

I find the gun comfortable to hold. I use small 7 inch paper plates as targets, and so far I have only practiced at 5 yards, I'll increase that distance eventually. I figure if I can keep 8 inside that circle I'm good. I shoot with both hands, like I drink my milk.

Last edited by arf on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:02 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Interesting looking c9. Welcome from Minnesota.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:23 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Welcome to the forum arf!!!
And congrats on the new C9. Glad
you've got the Mahan sights on it!!!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:06 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Hi arf, assuming you ever visit here again I have one question about the way you might have to move the mag setup to get it reinserted. It appears to me that it needs to spin like a propeller. I'm wondering if/how that needs the wrist and hand to turn upside down to position the full mag either before removal or after. I may be wrong but it appears as though rotating it end over end forwards would leave the hand in a better position to return to the grip. :dunno: I think either way is a pretty good idea however. :thumb:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:28 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Ex_ISP wrote:
I think either way is a pretty good idea however.

I tried both ways. With the magazines attached so that they flipped end over end, the lower mag extended back and touched the underside of my forearm. Also, I found it natural to slightly turn the pistol on it's right side (I'm right handed) and flip the magazines with my left. I can see how a shooter might want to keep the sights on target when reloading, but right now I'm just trying not to squeeze my eyes shut before pulling the trigger.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:03 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

arf wrote:
Ex_ISP wrote:
I think either way is a pretty good idea however.

I tried both ways. With the magazines attached so that they flipped end over end, the lower mag extended back and touched the underside of my forearm. Also, I found it natural to slightly turn the pistol on it's right side (I'm right handed) and flip the magazines with my left. I can see how a shooter might want to keep the sights on target when reloading, but right now I'm just trying not to squeeze my eyes shut before pulling the trigger.

hehehe, gottya! ;) Might want to get comfortable with shooting before ya try the complicated stuff maybe. Unless you have a gunfight scheduled soon. :thinkin:

But I see what you mean about the tilt. I guess my arms don't move that way very good anymore. The other thing is I have my mags drop free when the button is pushed. If yours don't drop out easy there is something wrong with the mag. Bad mags are very common with these guns. Much more common than bad guns are. A lot of folks can't tell the difference however.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Randy on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:42 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Arf, you're explanation is just like I pictured it. I guess I assumed you were right-handed because I am and most of the populas are. Given the flip to the side with the right hand, it seems an easy operation.

Subject change... How many rounds do you have through it now?

Ex

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:26 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Are you saying that lefties are unpopular?
Ex_ISP wrote:
Arf, you're explanation is just like I pictured it. I guess I assumed you were right-handed because I am and most of the popular are. Given the flip to the side with the right hand, it seems an easy operation.

Ex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:08 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

No reason to retire a gun just because you get a new one... I have lots of several brands. Once I did the trigger work to the C9, I'm very happy with it. Only way I'd let it go is if someone wanted to trade a smith for an HP (not likely). And if they did, I'd still buy another HP. The HPs have an advantage over most other brands and that is the fixed barrel. It offers the potential for higher accuracy! (unless you are speaking revolver which is also obviously, fixed barrel).

If you would like you trigger lighter, here is how to do it. This applies to the HP pistols and carbines though some of the details are very slight different.
http://www.hipointtalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=17004

Ex_ISP wrote:

200. The first 100 the gun ran perfect until the safety started to occasionally catch the forward slide notch and hold the slide open. After painting and re installing the grips the safety seemed floppy. I tried adjusting my grip and holding down the safety with my right thumb but I just don't seem to be able to consistently manage THAT fine a degree of control. I know I will have to eventually clean this creature so I will watch the videos some lazy evening and deal with it when I have the tools and confidence.

Just so you guys know I will probably retire the HiPoint when I can finally scrape together funds for my WANT gun, a Ruger or S&W revolver. It's interesting, I could own SEVEN C9s for the price I expect to pay for the Smith.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:30 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Don't know what you're talking about Amp...? ;)

ampersand wrote:
Are you saying that lefties are unpopular?
Ex_ISP wrote:
Arf, you're explanation is just like I pictured it. I guess I assumed you were right-handed because I am and most of the populas are. Given the flip to the side with the right hand, it seems an easy operation.

Ex

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:14 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
arf wrote:
[ After painting and re installing the grips the safety seemed floppy.

Sounds to me like you either lost something or have something out of place under the grip that is affecting your safety lever.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:25 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Hey arf, sorry for assuming you were a newb with guns, just a fact that it's better to assume that than the other for safety reasons. With that said, I will prove to have some of the less safe (politically incorrect) advice here. For instance, if you don't like the noises the c9 makes take them out of the gun and it can be quiet as a mouse with enough work on the slide spring area. The machine work as it came from the factory has a lot to be desired. A few brass bore brushes, and a hand drill fixes some of those issues. The smoother the spring chamber the quieter the pistol becomes when racking the slide.

As for the safety flopping around, mine flops around some too, but not enough to move upwards enough to catch the slide although it looks like it could if it got any sloppier. I just took the grip off (but not the slide) to refresh my worn memory of how it (the safety lever) attached. It rides on/around a plastic nubbin inside a depression in the frame, the nubbin some might generously call a pin. Other than that I couldn't see what caused the detent feel up under the slide. Most likely another piece of the polymer frame such as a dot of displaced material with a hole in the lever that rides over it, you know, high tech stuff. :groan: It's prolly an easy fix once you get around to doing it.

Pretty much everything on this pistol is easy with the exception of getting the slide off. If yours is like mine the pin hole and the slide cutout do not line up well enough to simply push the pin out, so I took my trusty dremel and a burr and filed the notch backward about 1/16", now the safety lever holds the slide without tie-wrapping the slide to the frame or however other enterprising folks have solved the problem. However, I would recommend using a flat bastard file instead of a dremel. That Zemac is hard stuff to work with, a spinning burr catches it too easy, it's harder than aluminum and softer than steel. :dunno:

But there I go again talking to the choir, you've had it opened and already know what the innards are like and what you wanted to do to them. I'll have to go have a looksee at the trigger fix, my big gripe with the trigger was the physically small space for my fat fingers, so I opened it up some by filing the inside of the guard and rounding the sides some and filed the bottom of the trigger itself off so it would stop pinching my finger, I also filed the goofy square off the front of the trigger guard and while I was at it I smoothed off all the parting lines on the gun. It still looks like a slab, but now it's a smooth looking slab that does not look like a cheap toy water gun.

Now, if I would just go outside and make some noise with it. :dunno:

Profile E-mail